Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Young Black Youth...

I've been on this Earth for 30 years and have seen different phases of the Young Black Youth in America with my own two eyes. I mean We love to celebrate the "80s babies" because we think our childhood was so cool. I have to admit, a lot of things I've gotten to experience in life is due to the decade I was born in, but not all of it is celebratory. One perfect example is the fact that I have maybe 3 childhood friends who grew up with 2 parents. Now I'mnot of a generation where all the fathers went off and died in a war, these uggins just left. Not always to another borough, city, state, or country but they definitely were absent physically and emotionally. I mean that affect/effect has motivated different people in different ways, but I ultimately see it as a negative outcome. As much as my peers would love to think this aspect of our life has made us stronger, we've weakened every generation after ours. We never took the time to check on our siblings or little cousins after us to make sure they were okay, like how those 70s babies were looked after by their predecessors. All we did was introduce them to our way of life and didn't give them the manuel. That kind of stuff became habitual because that generation too was as fatherless as ours, but they had a bigger stronger machine out there in society trying to destroy them. That type of behavior became as frequent as tying your shoe. Now we got this generation of Young Black Youth here who We view as lost and ridicule for their identity (such as style of dress), yet We are the reason they are who they are. Everything that I am I can trace back to the generation before mine and even the generation before them. Next time you're calling the current music of the day stupid or anything that defines this generation as lesser than yours, remember that You and I are to blame. Check your ingredients, Peace!

2 comments:

Charles Small said...

Some of the hardships made us stronger, but we (as a whole) didn't learn from it. I don't think we truly understood.

We created our own games and activities. We got the most out of what we had. We took care of our things. Not because the stuff wasn't available on the market, but because our families couldn't afford everything. And we knew that, and if we didn't, we realized quickly.

So what was the lesson. That these things weren't so important as we thought because we survived without them. But what did we grow up and do as adults? Buy our kids EVERYTHING, even go into debt doing it because we didn't get that. So the lesson was totally ignored.

Many of us were raised by a single parent or our grandparents (that was so common amongst my peers). So we learned the importance of family and the effects of certain parents being missing. But what did we do as adults? Our women have kids with no good dudes, or guys in jail and our guys get multiple women pregnant and bail.

Many of us went to school and saw teachers care about us and our future more than our own families. So what do we grow up and do? Go up to the school and fist fight the teachers for giving our kids a bad grade.

What the hell happened? How did we lose all that we gained? Just about all the ignorant, knuckleheaded kids out there today are in some way our generation's fault. But what the hell happened? How did we lose perspective so badly?

James said...

@Charles Small great thought. Even boulders erode and crumble with enough water, wind and time. Things may come around in the future even if its not for another 200 years(which I dont think theres 5 years left of this system). I believe in the circle of life and I think its Americas turn(my country to go down we have abuse our dominance and haven't brought others up with us, not to mention our own citizens rampant poverty in the supposedly greatest nation on earth.(at what cost?)