Monday, November 12, 2012

Cuz I'm Black Yall

I will NOT lie, I do have a special place in my heart for sports. Like the average fan, they help me escape the reality or "reality" we live in, which can sometimes be too heavy of a burden. In fact, I even watch shows about sports on television stations like ESPN. My favorite of them all is First Take which airs Monday through Friday, I never miss an episode (ask my wife about our DVR memory). One of the sports analysts on the show is probably the most articulate people on the boob tube today, Stephen A. Smith. Not only do I admire this man's mind, I am proud he is also a native New Yorker. Besides us sharing a foundation like NYC, he's also Black. I can't even lie, I watch this man speak and sometimes have to pause the show to look up a word he just uttered; I have no shame in that, it's great to look up word you don't know nah mean? Anyway, one day it fucking hits me: WHY can't a man so educated and with such great influence be this passionate about the struggle of Black people? Then I started thinking about all of the Black coaches in sports who don't get a fair shot to become head coaches, yet have the gift of motivating grown ass men to put in work in regards to sports. How come these great leaders of men (and women) aren't out here motivating the people who REALLY need motivation? Why is their talent being wasted on grown ass men and women to play a child's game and get paid LITERALLY millions of dollars to do so? I mean like I said I love love LOVE sports, but would be fine if they were all to go away. Life goes on, sports aren't that important. Yes they can be a ticket out of living in poverty, but what the hell does that have to do with the welfare of an entire race of people? Too many times we can look back in history and see a talent wasted due to an impetus which serves absolutely no positive purpose when looking at the effect that talent could've had on the welfare of Black people. Imagine someone as influential as Herm Edwards (for my NFL heads) leading a neighborhood of poor Black people to the community board meeting to demand answers for the unfair treatment of the residents by police officers, dope right? Imagine someone as business savvy as Magic Johnson as the CEO of an all-Black business whose sole purpose is to uplift the community. I wont sit here and patronize you readers with more examples I think you get my point, right? Right? Riiiiiiiight... Stay classy, Peace!

No comments: