Friday, November 2, 2012

Dear New York City

You don't matter and I mean that with every ounce of love in my heart. The man running this city views you/us as dollar dollar bills y'all. So many times we actually expect this dictator of a mayor to show a heart for our children, our poor, our less fortunate, etc... Why? When has he shown a sense of urgency when it comes to the misfortune of the residents here? I come from a poor neighborhood which has been overlooked until newly gentrified. I'm used to not mattering being that my neighborhood was undesired until it was discovered as cheaper than Manhattan and 20 minutes away via mass transit. In the wake of Hurricane Sandy I see more and more that it's not just my neighborhood. It used to be a "race" thing in NYC, now it's a dollar thing. The debut of the Brooklyn Nets playing against their new rivals the NY Knicks was canceled due to the lack of transportation, yet the Barclays Center wasn't used as a shelter. Why? NYC Marathon is going on and Central Park has generators for the runners this Sunday, while countless residents do not have power. Why? NY Knicks opening their season at the world famous Madison Square Garden, yet not once was it used for shelter during the past several days while locals remained homeless. Why? I know why... We don't care that's why. Maybe if we cared about the welfare of eachother everyday, travesties like this one would be handled a lot better. Since we don't matter to eachother, we will never matter to those who are supposed to care about our issues and well-being. Nevermind, another fight just broke out at a gas station in Brooklyn for overpriced gas... Stay classy New York.


2 comments:

Pedro said...

THIS!

Cin said...

I am in total agreement. I am still shocked about this whole marathon ordeal. I can't believe that all these resources that can help victims of Hurricane Sandy are being used for a freaking marathon. A bunch of people who had been staying temporarily in hotels due to the hurricane are being told that they have to leave since there are people that made reservations for the Marathon. Unbelievable!!