Tuesday, January 8, 2013

You're So Vain...

So POW had like a fucking epiphany last night while watching a popular television show (a guilty pleasure I wont speak on), and in one segment there was a woman modeling. Not like modeling on a runway, she was participating in a photoshoot for a magazine. I'm not like googly-eyed and shit watching this woman, my demeanor was more like "why the fuck is this woman famous?" I'm not a hater, I just don't understand how in the manger of White baby Jesus could we as a society give someone props for being attractive with or without the help of photoshop? Why are we rewarding beauty? BEAUTY? Like, we're giving people props for being attractive? When has someone being attractive done ANYTHING positive in the history of ANYTHING, EVER? What the fuck is a SUPER MODEL? What percentage of the world is considered model material? How the fuck do you market looking like a model to someone who isn't a model, and the people who're being marketed to actually consuming whatever is being marketed to them? It took me like 5 minutes to write that sentence because that shit doesn't make ANY sense. I used to think self-hate had some exclusivity when it came to image (Black people), but damn that shit is an international multicultural disease of a concept. I wont even elaborate, I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence reading this blog... Peace!

2 comments:

Charles Small said...

When I think about this, I'm like, you're so right. Why is a model famous? But then immediately I'm pissed, because I'm thinking for years many of us have been doing this same crap for FREE!!!!!! With NO props whatsoever!!!!

From kids we were groomed and fashioned to be walking billboards for clothing and other items to other kids of the same demographic. Involuntary volunteers! That trips me the hell out.

But I just find out that the world is like some fake @$$ TV sitcom high school. Everyone is obsessed with attention and popularity. That's why a model is famous. Because everyone is looking at her. That's why beauty is rewarded, because folks hate themselves and secretly want to be those beautiful people. Not worth a damn, but beautiful. Untalented, but beautiful. Unskilled, but beautiful. .....and paid attention to.

Yup.....high school.

James said...

Right on Charles