Thursday, December 13, 2012

Preacher

As I write this blog, Saigon's "Preacher" is blasting into my headphones. I love this track and what it represents, but that is not exactly what I'm going to get into. I often rag on the church and how the leadership fails the people, it's followers. What I do forget to do is sometimes check that almighty mirror. I wholeheartedly believe 100% of the stuff I say is right, but I don't always act on it. Bad habits, insecurities, fear are a few of many of the factors which lead me to hypocrisy. I myself need to take steps towards being a better Man, Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Uncle, Cousin, Friend, Citizen, Student, & Teacher. That's a lot on my plate, but I would hope everyone in similar positions recognize those roles define who we are. I'm not too heavy on dogmatic beliefs and religion, but I know that I have to live right simply because anything otherwise would be selfish and foul. So I challenge everyone who talks that hot shit (like I do), to reflect on your past week, month, year, decade, etc and decide whether or not they've been progressively getting better at being themself or just thinking they have and need to try harder. Some may think I'm very judgemental ( I am sometimes, I'm human), but I know when to fall back and shut up because we don't always know the whole story. This piece was not an effort to blast anyone or anything in particular. I just felt like I needed to work on some things personally and was hoping someone out there could relate. Always be the best you and if you know better, Practice what you Preach. Peace!

No comments: