Thursday, March 21, 2013

Celebrating Celebrities

Yeah the title is a little redundant but please let me explain. There seems to be this pandemic in the world we live in where the idolization of famous human beings isn't enough, we've gone to the extreme. Some are mutilating their bodies to pay homage, some are even altering their own body to mimic these people. I have no problem with admiring people from afar or near, but we're now at a point where what was once seen as obsessive and/or deranged, is now damn near the bare minimum. I remember getting into a scuffle in a bar a while back (well I got sucker punched and the guy ran) over a LeBron James debate on whether he'd come to the New York Knicks or not. I've been in countless disagreements with people over the years where the situation almost became a physical altercation. Now I know I can be a jerk and I know how to say things to get under people's skin, but plenty of times the person's rage comes from an emotional place that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual argument we were having. They took what I said personal solely because what I said disagreed with their perspective of said person, the celebrity. Never have I had a disagreement with someone about something pertinent to Our own welfare and it became so heated that I thought we'd come to blows. I mean I can debate/argue all day about the state of Black America with anyone, but the minute I don't agree with Beyonce telling young women to bow down to her and refering to them as bitches I face opposition filled with determination and rage. You guys are all fans of the wrong shit. I like all forms of entertainment as the next person, but I'd be a fool to think that my admiration for a person's skill-set is an excuse to celebrate them to the point where I'd place them before my/Our best interests. It takes too much energy to explain to me why your personal opinion of someone is better than the next person's. Why not focus that passion on your community and people, or nah? By the way, my position on the LBJ fiasco was that he would never play in NYC because he has too many endorsements. They'd tax the shit out of him and it'd make no sense to have a max deal. The other guys perspective was "NAH YO, LBJ wanna come to NYC to be an inspiration to the kids." I explained to him that what he was saying was ideal, but don't hold your breath because I doubt it happens. I guess he didn't understand what "don't hold your breath" meant and when I sat down he reached around and punched me in the eye. I gathered myself and saw a No. 23 Cleveland Cavs LeBron James jersey running out the bar. So yeah... Peace!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you shouldn't try so hard to push your beliefs as fact and others beliefs as bullshit and just maybe people wouldn't punch u in the face.

Charles Small said...

I agree on the tax part, but the real reason is he couldn't take the Knicks hate. The force is too strong, young one. Nobody hated on the Cavs. Until he played for them, nobody had even mentioned them in any sentence since Mark Price's last 3-point contest appearance.

Play for the Knicks to be an inspiration to the kids??? He shoulda got punched in the face for that ish. But I said the same thing to every Knick fan that had a semi-hard on at the though at that happening. I said it aint happening! Period! Knicks aint gonna pay him the dough and cant build any kinda team afterwards if they tried.

But as for celebrities, I still cant understand how folks can get so worked up over people who dont give a damn about them. Matter of fact, people who dont even know they exist. They go hard like thats fam that they grew up with or something. And over silly things too. If only that enthusiasm came for things that were important. Wait.....it is important...to them. So we need to refactor perspective and overhaul whats considered important, and the enthusiasm will be in the right places.